Tilman Queins & Peter Bohn

P.J. VALCKENBERG WEINHANDELSHAUS

Wine expertise since 1786
Peter Joseph Valckenberg, who founded the company in 1786, was one of the first to export German wines and wine culture into Europe, in particular to England. Soon he counted royal houses and dukes among his customers. His wine merchant business grew rapidly and developed into an international import and export company that introduced the world to names such as Château Margaux, Château Yquem and Joh. Jos. Prüm. He has remained our inspiration and benchmark to this day.

THE P.J. VALCKENBERG GENERATIONS

For more than 225 years we have been explorers and ambassadors in the world of wine. Our staff are wine enthusiasts who are globally connected, inquisitive and always on the move. They represent great estate wineries and successful brands that they are happy to introduce to you wherever and whenever you wish.

WILHELM GEORG STEIFENSAND

(Son of Hans-Joachim and Eleonore Steifensand)

*16.06.1954
Managing director from 1988 to 2011
Since 2011 president of the company

  • 1986: Establishment of Valckenberg International, USA
  • Development of the US market
  • Development of business relations and expansion into Asia, in particular China 
  • 1995: Acquisition of an 80 per cent share in Sektkellerei am Turm,  Deidesheim-Speyer GmbH

HANS-JOACHIM STEIFENSAND

(Husband of Eleonore von Gustedt, daughter of Gerhard and Elisabeth von Gustedt)

*19.01.1922 +17.08.2005
Managing director from 1952 to 1988

  • Looking after customers and supporting export markets, in particular England and US
  • Since 1971, establishment and development of Japanese export business with Suntory
  • Protected designation of origin: Wormser Liebfrauenstift-Kirchenstück

    GERHARD VON GUSTEDT

    (Husband of Elisabeth von Ewald, daughter of Maria Valckenberg and Dr Carl von Ewald. Elisabeth von Ewald’s mother Maria was Nikolaus Valckenberg’s sister and Elisabeth was his niece)

    *18.03.1890 +20.04.1952
    Managing director from 1936 to 1952

    • Further development of exports, in particular during the war years 
    • Rebuilding the completely destroyed company headquarters (1945)
    • Re-establishment of business relations within Europe, in particular with Great Britain and Scandinavia

      NIKOLAUS VALCKENBERG

      (Son of Friedrich Wilhelm Valckenberg and Elisabeth Reinhardt)

      *17.10.1861 +29.01.1945
      Managing director from 1887 to 1936

      • Turning the company into a GmbH (limited liability company)
      • 1908: Introduction of the MADONNA brand 
      • 1909: German Vintners Congress in the Liebfrauenstift cloisters

        FRIEDRICH WILHELM VALCKENBERG

        (Son of Wilhelm Valckenberg and A.M. Euler)

        *14.06.1825 +02.02.1887
        Managing director from 1854 to 1887

        • 1860: Bought the remaining parts of the Liebfrauenstift monastery (most of it was destroyed in 1695)

        FRANZ VALCKENBERG

        (Son of Wilhelm Valckenberg and A.M. Euler)

        *22.10.1820 +17.02.1886
        Managing director from 1848 to 1886

        JOSEPH VALCKENBERG

        (Son of Wilhelm Valckenberg and A.M. Euler)

        *29.02.1812 +22.12.1854
        Managing director from 1847 to 1854

        WILHELM VALCKENBERG

        *03.01.1790 +02.01.1847

        Managing director from 1825 to 1837 and acting as sole managing director from 1837 to 1847

        • Member of the German parliament
        • Extensive business trips in Germany
        • Trips to various European countries as well as Russia, the US, Egypt and Singapore
        • Acquisition of vineyards: Kreuzgang, Kapitelhaus, Klostergarten

                PETER JOSEPH VALCKENBERG

                *02.12.1764 +21.02.1837
                Managing director from 1786 to 1837

                • Founded the company on June 11, 1786 and ensured its successful development 
                • Acquired the Kirchenstück, Katterloch and Luginsland vineyard sites around 1808